Julia Yerkov Kline

     It  was 1991 and I was strolling through the French Quarter on my way to Café DuMonde when suddenly I couldn’t take another step.   There was this strikingly beautiful woman across the street performing with two marionettes to the tunes of Louis Armstrong.  There was even a scale size grand piano on the set.  Trust me, when you’re a local New Orleanian  nothing in the Quarter is  shocking….Well, that day I found my show stopper ; I found something to slow me down ; it’s not everyday you see a female Puppeteer complete with 3’ marionettes, props and, huge amplifiers for music.
     I followed the same path to Cafe du Monde with the hopes to  catch another  performance of Julia and, her wooden friends.   I lucked out everyday and, the songs were always different and, the marionettes where really jamming.  The singing trio  were drawing bigger and, bigger crowds everyday.  Suddenly, one evening she walked into where I worked .  I introduced myself and,  we talked for hours about, art, her mother country of Serbia, life in Nola , etc….
     Here is alittle bit of history about my friend Julia Yerkov Kline:
     She was born in raised in a small town called Kula, in the former Yugoslavia.  Growing up, she was always mesmerized by puppetry and, theatre.    Her parent’s expectations for her  were to stay in Kula after she finished Trade School and, work at a local job.  Well,Julia finished Trade School but, destiny called when she met some artists from Amsterdam.  She had enough money for a one way ticket and, she made the most of it.   She joined Arthur & Co. as a professional Puppeteer and, traveled the world with them winning many awards including the Peoples Choice Awards in Canada.  The New Orleans Jazz Festival invited her to perform in 1991 and, then she settled there.  Since then she has performed as an actress in local theatres and, movies.  Her performances are  a favorite at writer Anne Rice’s annual Halloween Party , French Quarter Festivals , The Contemporary Arts Center, Tulane University , Loyola University, La Petite Theatre and, Southern Repertoire Theatre and, always at the N.O. Jazz & Heritage Festival.   She appeared in PBS specials “Real New Orleans” and, “Art from the Heart.”  She appeared in the Hollywood production of “Storyville” and, “The Ticket.“  She was also on National Italian TV for six months in a comedy show. 
     Julia is a natural teacher and, her talents went to good use while she taught at the New Orleans School of Glass and, the Crystal Art Center in Frankfort, Michigan.
     In 1996 She opened her own Fabrication & Design Studio named “House of JuJu.”  This is her working space for creating sculptures, mosaics, painting, furniture and, of course making her marionettes.
  Julia has had her share of loses in her life but, she always takes control and, moves forward with grace.  I am so rich to have her in my life and, I’m so glad I had a beignet addiction in 1991.     I have watched her grow as an artist ,actress and now a Mother .  Her art work is collected internationally and her marionettes are in high demand.  They even perform at the Comedy Store in Hollywood, Ca..
QUESTION:  What kind of food will be served in the Afterlife?
JULIA:          I hope that it will be something we don't have to keep digesting in order to stay alive.
QUESTION:  Were your parents good cooks?  Did your family eat supper together every night?
JULIA:          My Mother is the best, she makes good pastries.  We were all at the table together for dinner.   That was something we couldn't  miss as kids.
QUESTION:   What have you learned in life that all of us can benefit from?
JULIA:           Having patience is like having gold.  Creating goals and, working on reaching them keeps life fun and, interesting.  Exercise ability to love and, cherish.
                      Visit Julia's website at HOUSEOFJUJU.COM


In May 2011 Julia was asked to return to New Orleans Jazz Fest to set up her moving sculpture.   The best way to describe Julia's work is in her own words:
     " I developed this project last year for the Jazz Fest up on request of one of the coordinators. It was suppose to be just another art activity in the kids area. Last year was a success, and so they asked me to do it again. I made some changes, and made it bigger then last year. It was amazing how many people, and kids were into creating something together with the artist, and leaving behind as contribution, to watch the sculpture grow over the seven days of the fest. The last day my count was over 1400 paintings done by kids and few dozen of large canvases done by me, all moving and changing with the help of the wind and, we had  a lot of wind.   Everyone was telling me what an genius idea it is, and how awesome it looks, telling me I should do this everywhere. I am really trying to find the way to do this project in the big cities with large groups of people walking by and, making paintings that they would leave behind as a message that would go out into the space, taken out by wind power. I think it is great thing."

1 comment:

  1. I've seen Julia perform and, she is so talented. Thanks for posting this wonderful story about her.

    ReplyDelete